A native of Salem, Virginia and graduate of Glenvar High School, Tommy Strelka received his undergraduate degree from the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, before receiving his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law. After graduating law school, Tommy served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable James C. Turk in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia. Upon finishing his federal trial clerkship, Tommy completed a state appellate clerkship for the Honorable Lawrence L. Koontz, Jr., in the Supreme Court of Virginia.
As one of only a handful of attorneys in the Roanoke area who vigorously represent employees in claims against employers, Tommy has handled numerous employment-related claims originating from age discrimination, race discrimination, discrimination based upon an employee's disability, unpaid wages and overtime compensation, and sexual harassment. Tommy's other areas of practice include defense of serious criminal charges and general civil litigation. Tommy has also effectively represented numerous high-profile First Amendment / Freedom of Speech cases. Read about his notable cases.
- University of Mary Washington, B.A.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Virginia Bar (includes all Virginia state courts)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- Roanoke Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Ted Dalton Inn of Court
Awards and Recognition
- In 2012 Mr. Strelka was awarded Young Lawyer of the Year by the Roanoke Bar Association for his "dedicated service to the Roanoke Bar Association, to the community, and to the legal profession."
- Mr. Strelka has been listed in Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2012 in the field of employment litigation.
- Mr. Strelka has been listed in Virginia Business Magazine as a Legal Elite Young Attorney (attorneys under 40 years of age) in Employment Litigation since 2012.
- In 2014, 2015, and 2016, Mr. Strelka was listed in Virginia Business Magazine and Roanoke Business Magazine among the Legal Elite in Employment Law.
- Mr. Strelka regularly lectures on the subject of ethics in the law and particularly, ethics as applied to employment law. He has presented ethics CLEs at State Bar events, at the Virginia Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Conference, and private engagements. An online edition of Tommy's presentation at the 2016 Va CLE 25th Annual Employment Law Update may be purchased HERE.
- Mr. Strelka is a member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- Mr. Strelka frequently appears on television, radio and online media to discuss the topics of employment law, federal litigation and civil rights. He has been interviewed by The Huffing Post, and affiliates for Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS and National Public Radio.
Tommy’s hobbies includes writing fictional legal thrillers. Read more about his free ebook, Legally Wasted.