Thomas E. Strelka
Tommy is a nationally renowned employment and civil rights attorney. Tommy's practice focuses on employment-related claims originating from age discrimination, race discrimination, discrimination based upon an employee's disability, unpaid wages and overtime compensation, sexual harassment and other civil rights related matters including whistle blower claims. Tommy regularly works in conjunction with the Virginia Education Association to represent teachers across the Commonwealth in need of legal assistance. Tommy's other areas of practice include defense of serious criminal charges and general civil litigation. Tommy has also effectively litigated numerous high-profile First Amendment / Freedom of Speech cases. Read about his notable cases.
Over the past decade, no other attorney has filed as many lawsuits throughout the state or federal courts of the Commonwealth of Virginia on the subject matters of discrimination or retaliation. Tommy has resolved cases including multi-million dollar settlements and he has won multi-million dollar jury verdicts.
A native of Roanoke County, Virginia, Tommy Strelka received his undergraduate degree from the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, before receiving his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law. After graduating law school, Tommy served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable James C. Turk in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia. Upon finishing his federal trial clerkship, Tommy completed a state appellate clerkship for the Honorable Lawrence L. Koontz, Jr., in the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- University of Mary Washington, B.A.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Virginia Bar (includes all Virginia state courts)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- The Supreme Court of the United States
- Roanoke Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Ted Dalton Inn of Court
Awards and Recognition
- Named First-Tier Best Law Firms in Virginia, Employment Law, in U.S. News & World Reports, 2020
- In 2012 Mr. Strelka was awarded Young Lawyer of the Year by the Roanoke Bar Association for his "dedicated service to the Roanoke Bar Association, to the community, and to the legal profession."
- Mr. Strelka has been regularly listed in Super Lawyers magazine since 2012 in the field of employment litigation.
- Mr. Strelka has been listed in Virginia Business Magazine as a Legal Elite Young Attorney (attorneys under 40 years of age) in Employment Litigation since 2012.
- Since 2014, Mr. Strelka has been listed in Virginia Business Magazine among the Legal Elite in Employment Law.
- In 2018, Mr. Strelka was listed in Virginia Business Magazine Legal Elite in the category of Corporate Counsel.
- Mr. Strelka regularly lectures on the subject of ethics in the law and particularly, ethics as applied to employment law. He has presented ethics CLEs at State Bar events, at the Virginia Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Conference, and private engagements. An online edition of Tommy's presentation at the 2016 Va CLE 25th Annual Employment Law Update may be purchased HERE.
- Mr. Strelka is a member of the Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- Mr. Strelka frequently appears on television, radio and online media to discuss the topics of employment law, federal litigation and civil rights. He has been interviewed by The Huffing Post, and affiliates for Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS and National Public Radio.
- Mr. Strelka has provided testimony on multiple occasions to the Virginia General Assembly to successfully seek expansion of Virginia's civil rights and whistle blower laws.
Tommy’s hobbies include petting his floofy dog and writing fictional legal thrillers. Read more about his free ebook, Legally Wasted.